- 1 When did the gymnastics program at UGA start?
- 2 What was the name of the coach to win all of UGA’s national titles in gymnastics?
- 3 Who is the best college gymnast?
- 4 Does UGA have a gymnastics team?
- 5 Where is Danna Durante now?
- 6 Why do college gymnasts gain weight?
- 7 What is the best state for gymnastics?
When did the gymnastics program at UGA start?
UGA created its women’s gymnastics program in 1973 and named Melinda Airhart as the first head coach. The team, known as the Gym Dogs, became competitive in 1981 under the direction of coach Rick Walton.
What was the name of the coach to win all of UGA’s national titles in gymnastics?
All 10 of UGA’s team titles came under coach Suzanne Yoculan (1984-2009). Yoculan led Georgia to 26 NCAA championship appearances in 26 seasons, earning 24 top-5 finishes.
Who is the best college gymnast?
No one can replace Oklahoma’s Maggie Nichols or UCLA’s Kyla Ross, but these gymnasts will try to step into the spotlight.
- Trinity Thomas. Erin Long/University of Florida.
- Nia Dennis. Don Liebig/UCLA.
- Kiya Johnson. Whitney Williston/LSU.
- Anastasia Webb.
- Lexy Ramler.
- Lynnzee Brown.
- Maile O’Keefe.
- Natalie Wojcik.
Does UGA have a gymnastics team?
We are UGA’s only co-ed gymnastics team! Guys and girls are welcome, and prior experience isn’t necessary! We compete with the National Association of Intercollegiate Gymnastics Clubs (NAIGC), typically 5 meets per year, including one national championship, although these are all optional.
Where is Danna Durante now?
Buy Photos Danna Durante was recently named the new coach of the UNC gymnastics team. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletic Communications. On June 25, UNC named its new gymnastics head coach, Danna Durante, who comes into the program with 20 years of college coaching experience.
Why do college gymnasts gain weight?
“It’s normal. All gymnasts gain weight after quitting. While competing, we took vitamins to compensate for lack of certain food. When we were no longer required to take pills, we had to assure our vitamin intake through our diet, just like everyone else does.”
What is the best state for gymnastics?
Rankings courtesy of RoadToNationals.com.
- Oklahoma (1813 points; 36 first-place votes)
- LSU (1755 points; 11 first-place votes)
- Florida (1680 points; 2 first-place votes)
- UCLA (1671 points; 1 first-place vote)
- Utah (1559 points)
- Michigan (1515 points)
- Denver (1493 points; 1 first place vote)
- Georgia (1438 points)